Tuesday, September 11, 2012

God First Challenge: Day 11 - Memorize Scripture


Day 11 Challenge: Memorize Scripture/Post it Around the House

Day 11 Scripture:  Proverbs 6:20-22  “My son, keep thy father’s commandment, and forsake not the law of thy mother:  Bind them continually upon thine heart, and tie them about thy neck.  When thou goes it shall lead thee; when thou sleepest, it shall keep thee; and when thou awakest, it shall talk with thee.”
This is my weakest link. I try to memorize scripture. I mean really start out with good intentions but the older I get the harder it seems to really retain it! 

My main inspiration for memorizing scripture is my great-grandad. He lived to be 105 and was still preaching. He truly believed that retirement was up to God. God would call him home when He was ready for him to retire. When he first started preaching he couldn't read and my great-grandmother read Him the scriptures and he would memorize them. He later learned to read but then once his eyesight started to fail it didn't really matter because he had it all I'm his heart.  Even at 100 years old he could still quote chapters at a time.

There's so many reasons for memorizing scripture-to use in our defense against temptation, to encourage others.  Or you never know when we may no longer have a Bible or our own eyesight becomes to weak to read it.

I also love this verse for today's challenge.  Bind them continually on your heart, tie them about your neck - wherever you go have scripture with you.  On your heart, on your mind, even written down on index cards or placed somewhere you will see it often.  For me that's the best way to memorize it!

So I challenge you today find a scripture and memorize it! 

Maybe it's one that's become dear to you during this study. 

Maybe it's one that you need to know and recall often for this period of your life.

Maybe it's one that you need to know to encourage someone else. 

Whatever the reason find it and bind it!

No comments:

Post a Comment